Friday, June 29, 2007

Happy To Be Back!!!


I'm checking in to let everyone know that I'm still alive and kicking ( no black uniformed Blackwater contractors have come to carry me off in the middle of the night... yet). As Lucy let you all know I've been buried beneath seemingly endless renovation projects filled with glitches (the full gallon of $50 fume free lavender paint that caused about $700 in replaced carpet and pad... we still haven't had the antique dresser refinished... sigh). Unfortunately we've had to try to finish as much as possible before my husband leaves for a three month long class in Alabama in a few weeks.

I was also recruited by the Learning Disability Association near the end of April to do some public speaking to help with fundraising and spent much of my first several weeks away writing and re-writing my speech. I spent an equal amount of time in those weeks pacing frantically and trying to control my nausea as I obsessed about how much I dislike speaking in front of large groups of people.

In the middle of all that our youngest daughter's school went through a change in administration. The new folks in charge felt it was time to shift from focusing on teaching gifted children ( after all there aren't that many statistically speaking and they're more expensive to educate) to "saving" them. Are the hairs standing up on the back of your neck yet??? Yep, her wonderful school will be a fundie christian school next year. Needless to say we declined to stick around for the brainwashing. Unfortunately, this meant we had to find a new school and fast. Thankfully we were able to find one that should work well for her. They don't participate in the standardized testing craze and.. hold onto your hats... they actually encourage critical thinking. I'll keep you updated on the efficacy of this revolutionary approach.

Since then it's been a typical whirlwind of end of the school year chaos and the fact that if I try to sit at the computer for longer than 30 seconds it seems to trigger various catastrophes accompanied by the plaintive cry of "Mooooooommmmmmm" that require my immediate attention. I'm hoping that in between taxiing my kids to their various classes, life guarding at the pool, supervising crafting activities and my general refereeing duties that I should be able to begin writing on a fairly regular basis again and taking some much needed strolls through the blogosphere. I look forward to visiting you all soon!!!

Ethel

8 Comments:

two crows said...

WELCOME BACK ETHEL!!!!!! :)

so glad you found a school for your daughter. teaching kids how to think: WHAT a novel approach!

and sorry to hear about the decorating catastrophes. Lucy told us about the dresser -- didn't know about the carpet, too. :(

anyway, glad to hear you got your whirlwind under control and can, at last, breathe again.

Anonymous said...

I am new to your site, and I LOVE it!! You are a breath of fresh air!! :) Monica

pissed off patricia said...

WELCOME BACK!

You made me tired just reading about all you are and will be up to. When do you get to take a break just for you? How about a little vacation somewhere. I think you deserve it.

Women on the Verge said...

two crows-

The carpet was the added bonus :-(
My husband was coming down the step ladder when he stepped the wrong way and fell into the FULL gallon of paint which not only soaked the carpet and pad, coated the side of her dresser, but also sprayed into her OPEN closet... it wasn't a good day. I do have to say I feel I deserve credit though... when I heard the crash I ran upstairs, saw the mess, and the first words out of my mouth were, "Are you okay?"

monica-

Welcome! Lucy and I have been buried lately by our parental responsibilities, but we hope to have things somewhat back to "normal" soon. Thank you for the kind words though :-)

pop--

Thanks for the welcome back! A vacation sounds great but unfortunately isn't in the cards for me anytime soon... I'll be lucky if I can manage to read a whole book in the next few months.

Ethel

Robert Rouse said...

As the father of an adopted special needs son (FASD), I can attest to the difficulties schools and school administrators have put in the way of progress since he first started 6 years ago. It seems like once or twice a year we have to deal with something new.

TomCat said...

Wooo Hooo!!

{TC does a happy dance!}

It sounds like you've been trying to put two pounds of Bush in a one pound bag!

tuco said...

I join the mass and welcome you back. I am looking forward to what you have in store for us!

TomCat said...

Yeah, where's the good stuff? ;-)