Thursday, June 07, 2007

I'm onto you, Oprah!


Oprah, all powerful media goddess, is up to something.... And I think it's a hidden agenda and alliance with the Pharmaceutical industry. She has gone to great lengths to encourage us to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which she has said she is "passionate" about. I heard she told Larry King that it was an "inspirational father-son story" and like nothing she has ever read before.

If "inspiration" is what I was supposed to find, I must have gotten a bum copy. I read the The Road, and by the end of this bleak, depressing saga I was onto Oprah's tricks. In what must be a covert deal with drug companies, Oprah is choosing the most depressing books she can get her hands on. As readers sink into despair, they will seek out the help of antidepressant drugs from their physicians. Ah, how I love a good conspiracy theory.

Just watch... Future editions of many of Oprah's picks (see The Road, The Book of Ruth, Map of the World, etc.) will come with a special edition Prozac trial prescription bookmark in every copy and mini-therapy sessions with Dr. Phil in the "afterwords".

I'm onto you, Oprah....



Lucy

8 Comments:

Durward Discussion said...

Welcome to the conspiracy club. Almost all of the Oprah picks are of the touchy, feely, be sorry for meely cause I need a heally.

In fact the majority of her shows are self help or group therapy. I gave up watching about five years ago as that much depression just isn't good for a human being.

Now if she wants to send me a car, I might cheer up.

Jalestra said...

Oprah got off on some stupid crying jag several years ago and hasn't stopped yet. I used to think she just wasn't for me, but when she gave Dr. Phil his big break I figured out, she's a moron.

Bart said...

I don't even think she reads these books. She probably pays a hundred people to read the hell out of everything that comes out, then has them review them, and she chooses some for her club.

Mauigirl said...

Uh-oh, someone chose this as our next book to read for our Book Club! Luckily I am already on Prozac so should be able to get through it without committing suicide...

Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Great detective work and analysis Lucy. I will avoid these downer books like the plague!

momma said...

I have looked at the book several times in the store and thought it didn't look like appealing subject matter. My thought was depressing. I like to read for enjoyment NOT depression.

Guess maybe she needs to pick some more uplifting novels. I have to agree with you on this one.

Women on the Verge said...

Middlesex isn't as depressing as so many of her others. I read it last year and enjoyed it... I'm surprised that she chose it, but I'm sure it's just a ruse to continue to hide her Prozac connections...

L

Sue said...

That Oprah loves some depressing shit! As a bonafide Mental Health Worker i refuse to read anything she recommends. I do that stuff all day long. I don't need to feel like my molars are being pulled when I come home. Give me Dorothy Benton Frank anyday.