Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lost in Translation


I waited in breathless anticipation of this week’s LOST. Finally I would understand the purpose of the introduction of Niki and Paulo. I was greatly disappointed.

First of all, and this won’t spoil much for folks… I’ll save that for the “read more” section… Niki and Paulo came out of nowhere. Every other new character was introduced with some kind of purpose or context. The “tailies” were survivors from the tail section; the “others” are mysterious folks on the other side of the island; Rousseau is a woman who has been stranded for 16 years; Desmond manned the hatch. For some reason, one day Niki and Paulo suddenly stepped from the background and spoke to main characters. And the main characters knew who they were. It was just wrong.

Secondly, they seemed to have no connection to anyone, no reason for being there and no charisma. I’m attached to Sun and Jin, Claire and Charlie, Desmond, Hurley, Kate, Jack, Sawyer… and while I’m not fond of Locke lately, he has reason to be there. Niki and Paulo are simply useless.

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode: Expose’ (Season 3 episode 14) don’t click “Read More”! If you have…. click away!

(Lucy)
All interviews and sound bites promised that after we saw “Expose’” we would understand Niki and Paulo’s purpose on the island, their connections, and we would like them! Hello? Wrong on all three counts!

After a series of flashbacks placing them in scenes from previous episodes, in which they had no real connections to any of our favorite survivors, I still didn’t see why Niki and Paulo were there. I certainly didn’t like them. I loved it when Sawyer, after being confronted by Niki demanding a gun said, “Who are you anyway?” I felt his pain.

Con artists are in abundance on the island and two more were not necessary. Their greed got them nowhere and they gained nothing. After being bitten by Medusa Spiders and paralyzed, appearing dead, they were buried alive.

I feel ripped off. My time has been wasted. Nothing they did or said added to my Lost “experience”. They enlightened no one to anything. They discovered nothing. They had no history with anyone on the island. It seems like the writers felt they had a few extra episodes to fill so they stuck this in. When fans declared their dislike of these intruders, they were summarily killed.

That was the best part, actually, them getting buried. I just hope to hell the island doesn’t barf them up. They are pretty distasteful.

12 Comments:

leftdog said...

Yeah I am not a big Paulo and Niki fan - I concur that their sudden involvement with the 'cool kids' was not a smooth introduction. If they truly are going to be dead, what the heck was the point????

It is almost like there was a totally different writing influence in this weeks script.

The only good part was the extra bits about Ben and his tactics.

Why am I so so addicted to this series?
Why am I so lost? - Is that going to be the whole point of this series .... am I going to watch for 4 or 5 seasons without ever finding out what the hell is happening .. in other words. will I remain 'lost'???

Women on the Verge said...

Oh, leftdog, I hope not. Did you play the Alternate Reality Game over the summer?

Niki and Paulo were pointless. I'm afraid this series is getting LOST.

Cellophane Queen said...

Yikes! How did I miss another episode of Lost. Niki? Paulo? What was I doing on Wednesday? Uh. I can't remember. Amnesia? Did I see the episode and forget?

Being an avid watcher of Twin Peaks, I don't give a darn if I ever find out anything. I'm content to have them peel more layers and give us more mysteries. Matter of fact, explaining things logically would ruin it for me.

By the way, my favorite artist is Salvadore Dali.

Women on the Verge said...

marva, I was a twin peaks fan myself. X-files was my favorite for a long time. I love the mystery. Niki and Paulo were not another layer... they weren't even on the same onion. If you saw it, I wouldn't be surprised if you forgot it!
L

Bart said...

That show is still on? ;)

RUTH said...

Just heard that Sky 3 which is freeview channel over here and the one which shows Lost is no longer going to be Freeview..AGHHHHHH....

Durward Discussion said...

This may be sacrilege, but I dropped out of Lost this year after years of fidelity. Keep me posted if anything interesting happens.

leftdog said...

okay .... so it is a week after the original post here - what the heck is the black smoke thingy ... holy heck, not a bad episode tonight!

What did you think?????

Women on the Verge said...

Oh, leftdog...
That's the monster.... the best appearance was when Mr. Eko faced it down. Last night was awesome. I have to collect my thoughts and post on it later!
Lucy

leftdog said...

I remember when the black smoke monster killed Mr. Eko ... but what the hell is it? The Other's don't seem to know what it is but it doesn't like their electric fence.

i'm loking forward to your further thoughts ...

Women on the Verge said...

Thanks, leftdog.

I think it is something let loose by the Dharma experiments. I'm not so sure the Others are Dharma...

Lucy

Anonymous said...

Несмотря на кажущуюся простоту, регистрация в качестве ип требует выполнение установленных норм и правил, потому наилучше доверьтесь профессионалам, которые имеют практический опыт такого рода. Если вы спросите, как оформить ип, вам ответят очень запросто.… Опытные юристы ООО "РЕГИСТРАТОР" возьмут всю операцию оформления и регистрации вашей компании, на себя...

Регистрация ИП - [url=http://www.registratorfirm.ru/openip/]открытие чп[/url]