Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Another guilty pleasure...


Okay, I admit it. I love TV. I watch House, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Nip/Tuck, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, Bones... and yes, One Life to Live, a "daytime drama" aka soap opera.

I am a huge reader and am never without a book in hand, but lately I find myself turning on the set in the evening. Why? Because the quality of those shows is good.

House says things we all wish we could say. Lost is a mystery that pulls you in anew each week. Desperate Housewives, while last season was a bust, makes me laugh... especially with the things I can identify with. Nip/Tuck is unrepentently shocking. Heroes is just plain fun. Grey's is ER Lite, for those of us who don't need the stress. Bones is a new twist on the abundance of CSI spinoffs and ripoffs.

So with all of these smart shows, why do I watch OLTL? First of all, habit. I've been watching for about 20 years. And second, and most importantly, OLTL gave me my first real writing opportunity. I write for The Llanview Banner website. For last couple of years I have been ranting to an audience of 200-500 each column. Soap fans are passionate about their shows and respond to my writing. Some love it, some hate it. But they all read it. They boosted my confidence and helped me move on to the next step. This blog.

So I thank all of my Banner readers and hope they will visit me here. And if any of you are hiding your dirty little soap fan secret, visit me there...

And now a question: Anyone interested in reviews of the shows I have listed? I have considered writing some reviews, but I don't want to waste anyone's time if you aren't interested! Be honest, please!

L


11 Comments:

TomCat said...

My ex was a major fan of General Hospital in the 1980s, and I could not come home from work without receiving a half hour lecture on the doings of Luke and Laura. I was experimenting with gen-lock devices in those days so my computer was interfaced to the TV, and I could replace or mix TV images with computer graphics/sound. One day I timed the computer to take over the TV at 2:05 PM. The screen went blank and a message appeared: "The Psychiatrist General has determined that soap operas are hazardous to your brain. This show has been canceled!" She had seen me put computer animations on the TV many times, so I figured she's laugh and go turn off the computer. Nope!! She called the local ABC affiliate and chewed their butts up one side and down the other. We won't even discuss how much trouble I was in.

Gene Bach said...

I love House and Lost. At Christmas we started watching the last two seasons of Lost and it turned into a marathon. It was pretty much the same thing with House. Great shows. As for other shows, I can't believe how much absolute garbage is out there these days.

RUTH said...

Don't think we get Heroes or One life to live. Love all the rest though; I'd have to put "House" top of my list. Only one of these we have on here at the moment is Desperate Housewives.

Anonymous said...

I am a big reader, but I also like some junk on TV. I love "Flip that House," for example. And the Extreme Makeover shows (with the people, not the houses). Junk.

two crows said...

Hey, L--
would love to get your take on Grey's and on House. [I'm still in mourning for West Wing and will discuss it ad infinitim with anyone who doesn't run fast enough].
have tried Studio 60 because of WW--but, it's just not the same.
and any good historical documentaries or docudramas you care to bring up, I'd love to hear about em.

My Name Here said...

Hey---I used to watch OLTL all the time. Oh, how I miss it. Greys and Desperate are awesome shows--would love to read a review of them!! I would like to link you on my blog--but wanted to ask first. Let me know.

Women on the Verge said...

two crows, I'll get on it! Inmatez Wife, feel free to link. We love new visitors! Did you give up on OLTL?

You asked, you shall receive... I'll be posting about the shows soon!

L

Deb said...

since i've been spending time on the internet, i've shut the tv off (indefinitely...i was bored with it anyhow). I have watched and really enjoyed House. And my brother used to get me to record Lost and Grey's...they looked totally "watchable". Unfortunately it's a time thing - it's either the internet or tv. So tv loses.

I'd be interested in your reviews.

Libbys Blog said...

I enjoy 'House' but its not on here at the mo! 'Lost' is another favourite, but I think we are way behind you in the series!! Look out for 'Prison Break' I don't know if you have had it or will get it but its great!!!

Michael Bains said...

House, Bones and Heroes I've seen and really enjoyed. I just don't remember to watch any shows regularly. Part of the problem is that I'm a very early riser and, thus, very early to crash, except when there's fun stuff to do outside the homestead.

One of my fave bloggers does reviews all the time. While I generally skip those posts of his, I'd sure be interested in reading any you'd care to produce, if only for the sake of similarity of our TV interests.

(BTW, was as "Days of Our Lives" watcher for a few years thanks to my Nana living with us back in the day. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the same characters are still on there! LOL!)

Have fun!

Not Your Mama said...

Heroes is the only one I like. Hiro rocks my world.

I have the TV viewing habits of a geeky teenage boy (even though I'm a middle-aged grandmother). I'm addicted to Stargate and can't stand romantic-anything.