Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Snow Daze


In case you don’t live in the northeast portion of the United States, it’s RI-DIC-U-LOUSLY cold here! How cold you ask? So cold that the only happy residents of our fair land are the polar bears at the local zoo, even the penguins are hiding deep within their rookery… they’re from Africa. So cold that not one of the entire fleet of busses our school district uses could be started yesterday… hence, every child’s dream… and the scourge of all parents… the dreaded SNOW DAY!

First, let me make myself perfectly clear. I love my daughters and thoroughly enjoy having them home. Weekends are a happy blur of activity, and I’m probably the only mother on the planet who actually looks forward to summer vacation. Why then does the thought of this extra opportunity for family togetherness make me cringe?

Personally, I think that snow days have a magical connotation for most kids similar to that of Christmas… only without the tree and presents… maybe even better because you never really know when, or if, it will come. This rare gem courtesy of snow and ice has a high price tag though. Normally well-behaved children act like crazed lunatics on a sugar high. What’s a mother to do? You can’t send them outside when the wind chill brings the temperature to a frigid 20 below zero… it’s too hard thawing out kid-sicles.

But the thing that really strikes horror into this mother’s soul is what usually happens sometime between late morning and early afternoon… the plaintive cry of, ”There’s nothing to do, we’re BORED!” When gently reminded of the mountain of Christmas booty- board games, science experiments, crafts, and kits galore- a veritable Everest waiting to be conquered, they wrinkle their noses responding with, “Yeah, but we want to do something FUN!” If you’ve ever been in this situation, you’ll know that nothing short of a trip on the space shuttle will fulfill their desire for “fun”.

It’s at times like these when I need to remind myself that snow days are a gift not meant to be squandered on the mundane. So while I wait for the snow to stop, I’ll put on my crash helmet and snow pants and try to weather out the storm.



E

10 Comments:

two crows said...

oh, E--
condolences and good luck.
this, too, shall pass--
tc

Gene Bach said...

It was 65 degrees here yesterday, cloudy and cooler today. I'll try and bottle up some sunshine and email it to you. LOL!

Gledwood said...

Hmmmm it's even getting cold here ... the air is 'crisp' ...

We have salt all over the pavements or sidewalks if you prefer... and they say snow's coming ...

Okay, I'm proud to invite you to my wonderous Guess the Horrorscope Compeition Now! Not to be missed! At mine! Tonight! Fabulous mystery prize to the winner!!!!

RUTH said...

Manda works at a school so she loves "snow days" ....mind you so does her daughter.

Deb said...

i'd make kidsicles, for sure.

Not Your Mama said...

Ick, been watching it on the news. Not for me, I believe snow is only good on postcards and calendars. Anything below 32F is unnecessary.

RUTH said...

Snow here today and NO school for the grandchildren!

Women on the Verge said...

gene-

Don't ever taunt a woman with cabin fever ;-)


Gleds-

Is it a fabulous trip to a tropical location???????????

TC, Ruth , deb-

I appreciate the support... I just hope I can make it through the rest of the winter without re-enacting any scenes from The Shining...

Mama--

I whole-heartedly agree!!!! Will you please convince my husband???? He actually (gasp) LIKES the stuff...

Women on the Verge said...

Sorry--- I keep forgetting to "sign" my comments.

E

Anonymous said...

I can remember well the winter days when our 4 girls were growing up. The days of sledding, cross country skiing and toboganing. Those were on the days above 0 degrees F however. Now that they are grown and have their own families, they can now relive those really cold snow "daze" they put mom and pop through. As someone once said "Its Deja Vous all over again".